Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Rock, Paper, Scissors

I was always confused by the game “rock, paper, scissors.” Why is a rock vulnerable to a piece of paper? Even if a piece of paper can successfully cover a rock, why does that leave it incapacitated? The rock could still be used to smash a pair of scissors. And the same rock could be placed on a piece of paper – which could scuff up the paper or cause it to rip if someone tried to slide it out from under the rock without first lifting the rock.

RPS

RPS2

RPS3

RPS4

RPS5

It all became clear to me on my last ski trip though. I was at Snowshoe Ski Resort with Eric and Brent and we were riding a lift up when I noticed why rock is inferior to paper. It’s not exactly that rock is inferior to paper, more like rock is inferior to the maker of paper – the tree. But, “rock, paper, scissors” has more of a ring to it than “rock, tree, scissors” so I suppose they had to go with the former.

I saw several trees growing through rocks causing them to split, and lose the battle. So, in a game of “rock, paper, scissors” you should always assume the battle is between a rock that was damaged by a tree that then was turned into paper, paper from the tree that damaged the rock, and any pair of scissors.

RPS6

RPS7

RPS8

RPS9

Now I feel bad that “scissors” doesn’t have a special background story.

No comments:

Post a Comment